How to Make the Jump from Windows to Ubuntu Linux
Here is my guide to installing and setting up Ubuntu for those of us who have primarily used windows. When I started out I could not find a centralised place for all the common things I needed to do when setting up Ubuntu, so I made this guide.
The guide is in an order that takes you from the beginning to the end of the install and setup process.
- Switching from Ubuntu to Windows – My Experience
- Preparing to Install Ubuntu
- Using Gparted to Create Partitions
- Making a Start-up USB
- Installing Ubuntu
- Update and Install Programs
- Install and Setup a Firewall on Ubuntu
- Installing Antivirus on Ubuntu
- Great Apps to Get from Ubuntu Software Center
- Programs to Download from Elsewhere
- Programs to Install from the Command Line
- Programming Tools
- Tweak Ubuntu to Make It More Like Windows
- How to Auto-Mount Drives
- Configuring Your Bittorrent Client
- Websites I Found Useful Moving From Windows to Ubuntu
- How to Install Microsoft Office on Ubuntu 13.04
- Improve your internet efficiency 1000%
- Backup Ubuntu Easily
- Ubuntu Quirks
- Optional Programs To Install
A lot of credit must go to others for this guide. Unfortunately I can’t remember exactly whre I collected some of this information so I can’t pass on credit where it is due. My personal thanks to all those Ubuntu & Linux gurus out there who made my task easier. Sorry about the lack of credit.
Best of luck. If you have any feedback or edits please me a reply.